Tuesday, August 19, 2008

'Advice' is what you get when you ask for money

Yep, these are the words with which my previous CTO described the condition which they faced when they went to VCs for funding their startup. I am reminded of the same words as I face almost the same condition. Well, not exactly the same condition, but am looking for money.Anyways, so have met many people and them for funds, and each one has one same advice. "Commit for a PhD, We need long term commitment". So my take is, isnt 2 years long term? Theres this one project which has funding up until 2010. So if the project is not going to last for the entire duration of my PhD, why should these guys expect a long term commitment from me? Anyways, So everyday, my routine has been to pick up my sack, go to some prof, beg for funds, tell him that I am undecided on a PhD, and see the change in his expression, hear the same old advice, thank him, walk back dejected every single day. Dunno how many more times will I have to face the same thing. Seems like this number is going to be high.
Some days I ponder whether this is what I deserve? But then, life wouldnt be life had it been fair you see, atleast in the short term, atleast that is what I would like to believe so.
So here I am, having forefeited a fairly comfy life in search for a more comfy life. I just hope I havent screwed it up. Only time shall tell.
Yeah, "Advice" is surely what you get when you ask for money.

6 comments:

Mohsin said...

try asking for advice..
you'll get money probably ;-)

vivek said...

Oh How I wish that would be true!!!

Pappul said...

I think I will voicing the same words at the beginning of next year ... "Have I screwed it up?" ... but keep fighting mate ... apan kuch to karte hai ... mai aata hoon udar fir dekhte hai ek ek ko ... Cheers ... !!

vivek said...

Haan yaar, jaldi aa ja. Kuch nahi hua to wada pav ka stall laga denge idhar [:D]

Unknown said...

oye bas kar chhote. good things happen to good ppl :)

vivek said...

Have started to lose faith in that principle...unfortunately[:(]