Thursday, May 07, 2009

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Probably a cliched title, but getting a haircut has always been a task that I simply loved to procrastinate. The reasons were diverse, absurd and stupid. Laziness, fear of watching the progress of a receding hairline are some of them. I can't recall any activity that can get boring than this. Back home, it was the fear of being kicked out from home and being disowned by my family members which compelled me to go to a barber shop. So here in the US, I was under no such pressure to go for a hair cut. Plus, the thought of spending Rs. 500 for a plain haircut acted as a deterrent too. This was equivalent to getting 20 haircuts back home!!

Thanks to video chat, my situation was beamed live back home and eventually things became way too difficult to handle. And so, yesterday was the D-day. So I went into the केश कर्तनालय and there was no Billu barber but Missej Billu barber. She directly pulled a scale and said, "This is around 4 inches long, how much do you want me cut?" Back home, my barber was a smart fella. He didnt need any such scale. There were just 3 cuts - short,medium and long. I fumbled and said 1 inch? (Bad decision...:() Snip,snip,snip and done. 5 mins all it took. I could'nt recognise myself. So the moment of truth arrived. Bill time. She said $14, I was shocked!!!! Thought to myself, that is ummm about 30 haircuts back home.......Man, it sucks. Eventually, the boring task had come to an end. Fortunately or unfortunately, wouldnt have to think about it for a long time now. I wish that science can come up with some pill that can style hair. That would sell like hot cakes....won't it? Well, atleast I would certainly buy it.

7 comments:

Mohsin said...

similar story with me, fear of being disowned by family is the only reason I shave and get a haircut (and even bath, but don't tell anybody :p). And I see Missej Billu Barber is still using Imperial units; your next task is to enlighten her to switch to SI.. :p
(btw I am interested in takin a look at your new look, photu upload kara kuthetari :p)

Pappul said...

boss takkal karne kaa naa :P

vivek said...

@Mohsin: I shall surely tell her that SI units are 'in' these days...:)

@Patrick: Almost taklu ho gaya hai re :)

Charuta said...

Girls dont have that luxury in India also. My haircut costs Rs.350. So that explains my real short hair last yr and recent long hair..thanks to the big R.
Btw, arent u watching HIMYM and ribbing Robin gets for using km instead of miles, Americans make fun of SI units..wen in Rome.. :P

vivek said...

@Charuta:yeah, but girls dont get disownned for keeping long hair :)
W.r.t. HIMYM, yet to watch those episodes :)

Ashwin said...

man, forget Missej Billu Barber....
next time, go to Jerry's (14th Street).... he just charges 8 bucks come what may ;-)
and yeah ...not to forget the complimentary chocolates/sweets :-P

vivek said...

oh! didnt know he gives away free stuff ;)